Is vacuuming the one chore you really hate? We know that for most people running a vacuum isn’t your idea of fun. In fact, you may be wondering whether you really need to vacuum. Is it one of those old rituals that has become obsolete in a modern home? Of course not! We have some physical, social, and financial reasons that you should keep vacuuming, even if it’s not your favorite chore.
We shed millions of skin cells each day, and you absolutely must have some way to remove them from your home. The same goes for the bacteria, allergens, dust, dander, and pollen that accumulate and aggravate allergies and cause sickness. Removing these from your home is an important part of maintaining your physical health, and vacuuming is the best solution.
Keeping your home clean encourages you to have people over and develops strong social bonds. Vacuuming can help keep your home—and other fabrics like your clothing—free of dust mites and mold, which, in turn, keeps you and your home smelling fresh for guests.
Fixing or replacing the flooring in your home can be costly. But when you regularly clean your floors, it helps them to stay nicer longer and ultimately saves you money. Plus, when it is time for you to sell your home, flooring that is in good condition will help you get the most out of your biggest investment.
When you do vacuum, we recommend the following:
- Vacuum weekly. For most spaces vacuuming once or twice a week is enough. This keeps dirt from getting pressed down and building up. If you have pets that shed, you may need to vacuum daily or every other day to eliminate the excess hair.
- Take your time. Going in slow, repetitive motions ensures that your vacuum has time to suck out the dirt.
- Move in multiple directions. You should try to move your vacuum to all the points in a compass. This will prevent wear patterns on your flooring, and it will keep the nap of your carpet lifted.
- Empty often. You should remove the bag or empty the container when it is ¾ full. Waiting until it is completely full can impede the airflow of the machine and make it work harder.
- Service your vacuum regularly. Vacuums benefit from regular maintenance. At Buckhead, we service all types of vacuums, even brands we don’t sell.
If your vacuum cleaner has turned vacuuming into your least favorite chore, we can help you fall in love again. Vacuuming is so much easier and more fun when you have the right tools. Come into our showroom to try out a wide selection of vacuums and let our experts help you find exactly what you need for your home.